Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Another turn in the diabetic ride....

DH was our on a side job yesterday evening. He's been laid off from his ft job at a local construction company. Which is the story all over. Absolutely nothing to do with his disease or job performance. Well, he completed what he needed to get done, then headed to a residential call that he rec'ved while there. I spoke to him briefly around 4:50pm to check on him. He was in supply store getting supplies, sugar had been 400+.

I called again later while I was at my son's football practice, around 7pm. He was slurring terribly. I began to slowly speak to him and tell him..."check your sugar"..."get your machine"..."where's your machine". He seven times he kept saying "my pump is broke"...."it's come apart". I told him we would take care of it later. I said "check your sugar"..."please get your machine". He said he would have to lay the phone down to check the sugar, an action that should only take two minutes at the most. Well I sat there waiting. So I started to yell into the phone "[DH] pick up the phone"....I hear stirring....""[DH] pick up the phone"....Over and over again I say his name. Finally I drunken sound of "Hello" comes back at me. For forty-five minutes this goes on. Finally I hear him open his box, get out one of the two sodas I put in there and he finally drinks it. His sugar was 43.

How on Earth can this happen so quickly. I don't' under the bolis things but how can it be so low and then less then three hours later be so terribly low. Oh, the pump did not break, he couldn't get it suspended so he simply disconnected but with his mind the way it was, to him it appeared broke.

The bad thing is-that bothers me, he was disappointed in me for not being more calm. "Why did you yell?" I told him because you sit the phone on the seat and you couldn't hear me. I needed you to pick it up so you wouldn't go unconscious. I feel if I keep him talking and moving he will stay coherent.

My kids don't understand this. We are a blended family and they don't know this side of diabetes. Their grandfather, my ex's father is a Type 1 diabetic. But he keeps his sugar on the high side and just "pumps up". Which isn't healthy either. I have never seen him low, as DH is low. But I do feel awkward, confiding in my ex's mother in order to get information...so I am here - searching for kindred spirits to help me grow in my knowledge of this disease. And, it isn't my JUST DH's disease it is our families disease. The proof of that was last night, when DD cried and cried thinking that her step dad was dying. There are residual effects on the rest of us.

No comments: