On Monday morning after devotions @ work, I called DH. It was about 9:45am and I just wanted to check and see how his morning was going. He hasn't found work yet, but we are prayerful that he will find it and it will be exactly what he needs.
When I reached him, he sounded tired already. He had just changed his site that morning for his pump. His sugar was elevated and it made him fatigued. We made small talk and before I hung up I told him to have a good lunch and check his sugar often. I knew when he changes his site it never fails for him to spike and then dose it with insulin only to have it plummet later. He gave me a reassuring "I'll stay on top of it". He told me his phone battery was on the fritz. He had it charging in the truck.
It was the perfect mixture for disaster.
I tried to call later that afternoon around 4:45pm to check and see if he was 'wrapping up'. There was no answer. About five minutes later I get a call from his phone. But, a woman was on the other end. "Is this Kristie?" "Yes" I reply. "Ron has had another spell, the EMS are under the house trying to get him to come to so they can get him out."
I knew it!
I end up leaving work early, so that they do not transport him. We had been down this road before and I didn't want to make our finances worse.
* Long story short - at lunch the contractor stopped by to tell him that it was noon. DH attempts to get from underneath the house but his sugar is already so low, his motor skills are already affected. He doesn't get lunch. Contractor stops by again, at 4:30pm and by this time, he has no alternative but call for medical assistance.
Today - Tuesday, 09/16/08
We have a dr. appointment today with DH endocrinologist. SHe is AWESOME! We all sat down, DH gave his pump to her to check the bolis and basil numbers. Come to find out that he was giving himself more insulin when he already "active insulin" being given to him. He was feeling his sugar highs, so naturally didn't think it was working. He would give himself more and then end up over doing it.
She said leave it be. We are now logging EVERYTHING. What he eats, his bolis numbers, when he give insulin, why he gives insulin, how much. We are getting intense about getting this under control.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment